The “Chainsaw” After Action Review format
The chainsaw After Action Review format is designed speed. It’s useful in situations where you don’t have much time, but still want to capture quick ideas for improvement.
- Have the team form a loose circle.
- Start with a single team member and ask just one of these questions:
- What is one thing that went well on this shift?
- What is one thing that didn’t go well on this shift?
- What is one thing you would do different next time?
- What is one thing you learned today?
- Continue around the circle until everyone has had a chance. It may be necessary to place a time limit on each individual (i.e. 30 seconds).
- Avoid unnecessary discussion (dinner is waiting).
- Note the comments for future discussion.
“After Action Reviews | NWCG.” n.d. Accessed October 2, 2021. https://www.nwcg.gov/wfldp/toolbox/aars.